Clients are from all backgrounds and are 12 years old and up. They come because fears and anxieties have taken over and they are in crises. Within the neutral, safe, comfortable and relaxed counselling sitting room I am able to offer skilled listening, autogenic relaxation, Cognitive therapy and gestalt techniques to enable a person to build and expand on their natural strengths to put balance and rhythm into their lives to create harmony instead of disharmony and possible dis 'ease'.
My speciality is exploring anxiety so my client group come with difficulties in relationships, finance or ill health and more often than not present with a combination, or all of these. We are mind, spirit and body and our personality is the gateway to understanding all of our essential qualities. Sadly we all need crises, as pain can move us to power if we listen very carefully and explore its messages with an experienced, compassionate facilitator.
There is a vast field of knowledge within psychology. The title Psychologist has in the past put people off exploring their worries and fears on a one to one basis. Thankfully the association of madness, with behaviour modification programmes used in the old asylums is fast diminishing and counselling sessions are considered highly by many specialists and GPs. This has been noticeable since I established my practice in 1994. The Psychology training is a good foundation stone with which to explore and understand human behaviour, thoughts and feelings. The theories of Piaget, Freud and Jung have been of greatest value within my work.
To book an appointment call
• Graduate member: British Psychological Society
• British Autogenic Society
• NHS Practitioner Directory register
• Born Sherborne, Dorset 1960
• Educated at Sturminster Newton and Blandford Upper School. 1965 to 1978.
• Degree Liverpool and City London Poly. 1986 to 1990.
• Post Graduate studies Rotary International Scolarship to Sydney University. 1990 to 1991.
• The Royal London Homeopathic Hospital 2004 to 2005.
I work with individuals, couples and groups from my private practice at Glencairn House where I have been since 1997. I now work weekdays at the clinic.
I work in an informal, conversational way which if following an Autogenic or CBT programme can last for a 10 week period.
• Autogenic therapy to treat anxiety: This is taught individually or in a group. It is a profound meditative approach to relaxation. Once taught in 10 lessons it stays with you for life.
Autogenic groups run on Wednesdays at lunch time .
Training takes place on Wednesdays at 2pm .
Drop in group the last Wednesday of each month , for those that would like group support and a refresher.
For more information please contact reception
Case Study: Autogenic group therapy in the successful treatment of the symptoms of Lyme disease in a 47 year old Principal Engineer. To read the case study, please click on the link below:
For more information please visit: www.autogenic-therapy.org.uk
For more information please visit: www.enneagramworldwide.com
For more information please visit: www.myersbriggs.org
• CBT: Based on the idea that our thoughts create our moods. We learn that we all have inherent tendencies to negative thoughts that trigger unhappy feelings and disturbance. We learn to spot negative thoughts as they come up and challenge them.
• Employed DCC Social services, Sturminster Newton ATC 1978 to 1981
• DCC Area Health Authority Coldharbour Hospital Sherborne 1982 to 1984.
• Forsight Foundation Australia. North Rocks Disability. 1990 to 1992.
• DCC Education Gryphon School Sherborne 1999 to 2002.
• Self Employment: Glencairn House Clinic 1997 ongoing, Gryphon School 2004 to 2006, DCC Adult Education 1982 to 1984.
• Contracts: The Prison Service, Westland Helicopters, the Royal Air Force.
• Augusta Westland
• Tricare UK
• Wincanton Engineering
• HMS Prison Service