• Assessment and treatment of common foot complaints such as corns, other skin pathologies, and nail problems
• Assessment of the structure, alignment and function of the feet and legs with appropriate treatment such as insoles, stretching and strengthening exercises to correct any abnormality. A referral may be made to a bio-mechanical specialist
• Nail surgery using local anaesthetics
• Management of patients at increased risk of foot problems such as diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and peripheral vascular disease. Annual diabetic foot checks can also be performed.
• Advice on prevention of foot problems and how to keep feet in good health
• Advice on suitable footwear
A Podiatrist/Chiropodist is a health professional who can assess, diagnose, treat and manage conditions of the feet and lower limbs. They have an extensive scope of practice including;
There is no difference between a Chiropodist and a Podiatrist. The term Chiropodist has been traditionally used in the UK, whereas Podiatrist is recognised and used more internationally. Increasingly, Chiropodists in the UK are being referred to as Podiatrists and many people in the profession refer to themselves as both.
Both ‘Chiropodist’ and ‘Podiatrist’ are protected titles and can only be used by people registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC). The HCPC regulates the Chiropody and Podiatry profession and ensures that all of its members meet their standards for training, professional skills, behaviour and health.
I started my first job, with West Dorset Community NHS trust in 1993, having qualified from the University of Brighton.
I left this post in 1995, following the amalgamation into a Dorset-wide service, and have worked independently ever since.
In 2001, I was asked to join the Diabetes Specialist Footcare team at Dorset County Hospital, a post I held for 4 years. I have also worked for the Prison Service, providing foot care at Guy’s Marsh Prison, and also within the adult learning disability sector.
Outside of work, my interests include poultry keeping, Scouting and walking.
For foot health and toe nail care, call